Well, we got through the ‘blizzard of 2012’! What a reminder that was! If we “forgot”, we now know that winter driving conditions are tough on both the motorist and their vehicle. When cold conditions hit; extra precautions are needed to make sure both you and your auto are prepared for winter driving. Here are 7-Winter Reminders & some common sense suggestions to keep in mind:
- Charge!! – Cold weather is tough on batteries. At 32 degrees Fahrenheit, a battery is around 35% weaker; colder than 0 degrees and your battery loses up to 60% of its strength. Keep your battery terminals clean to help; it is recommended that you have a battery test done each year before winter starts by a qualified automotive technician.
- Get a Grip – Check the tire tread on your auto before the winter season is upon you (don’t drive on “bald” tires). Good tread allows water to escape from underneath the tires and increases traction. Keep tires at their proper pressure. A chart with the manufacturer’s recommended inflation pressure can be found on the driver side door jam or inside your tire information pamphlet.
- Clean and Clear – Danger must be visible to be avoided. Driving with a snow-covered windshield, windows, side-view mirrors or lights only invites danger or potential crashes. Remember to take time to clear windows, mirrors and lights with an ice scraper, brush or spray de-icer if needed. Before bad weather hits, make certain your window washer reservoir is filled with no-freeze windshield washer fluid.
- Keep Your Cool – Be sure your cooling system anti-freeze is mixed with an equal portion of water for maximum protection for your vehicle’s engine.
- “Ice-Ice Baby” – When temperatures drop to 32 degrees or just above, a thin layer of water can cover ice on the road, causing extremely slippery conditions (aka black ice). The distance needed to stop on ice at 32 degrees is twice as long as at zero degrees. Slow down and use extra caution, especially when passing other vehicles.
- Steer Clear – Did you know less distance is required to steer around an object than to brake to a stop; so, steering is preferred over braking at speeds above 25 mph. Sudden braking often leads to skids. Don’t follow too closely to another vehicle, instead increase following distance. This extra distance helps provide a buffer in case of skidding.
- Finishing Touch – Road salt, slush and dirt are especially hard on a car’s finish and paint. Help prevent rust and paint damage, by keeping your vehicle washed and waxed.
** Common Sense Reminders **
– Keep an ice scraper and car brush in your vehicle (pair of gloves to keep your hands warm, too)
– Check your tire pressure once a month
– Check your oil and windshield wiper fluid on a regular basis — when you stop to fill up for gas
– Keep an emergency road side kit in your vehicle with flares, orange triangle, blankets and warm clothes
Our O’Brien Automotive Family of dealerships enjoys 79+ years of history for customer satisfaction (Greenwood). We carry out our commitment to customer satisfaction (Indy location) in every department; sales, service, parts, and body shop. Our user-friendly website allows customers to browse our selection of cars from the comfort of home. We know that options and selection are important factors in customer satisfaction. At all of our locations in central Indiana, our factory-certified technicians are able to work on all makes and models. Our body shop works with all insurers to restore your vehicle to its pre-accident condition using eco-friendly products in an effort to reduce the damage to our environment.
The O’Brien Automotive Family of dealerships are one of central Indiana’s best source for new Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, FIAT, and Toyota & Scion brand vehicles along with a large inventory of pre-owned vehicles & Factory Certified Pre-Owned. Our goal is to make as many central Indiana customers as satisfied as possible when it comes to selection and competitive prices. We welcome you to stop by one of our convenient locations, call us at 317-534-2256, chat online (Indianapolis location Chrysler Brands – Greenwood location Chrysler Brands * FIAT Brand / Toyota & Scion Brands), or submit a request make an appointment to test drive your next vehicle today.
From our automotive family to yours….”Have a Safe and Prosperous New Year”!
“Our family works for you.
Your leading Greenwood, Franklin, Indianapolis, Carmel, Plainfield, Avon, Lawrence, and Noblesville Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram FIAT Toyota and Scion Dealer!
About O’Brien Automotive Family
Tom O’Brien Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram
750 U.S. 31 N
Greenwood, IN 46142
Sales: (888) 699-9629
Tom O’Brien Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram
4630 E. 96th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46240
Sales: (888) 734-9394
This entry was posted in Information, Automotive Service and Repair, Used Car Dealers Indiana, Toyota Dealers, Scion Dealers, Ram Truck Dealers, Jeep Dealers, Dodge Dealers, Chrysler Dealers and tagged chrysler dodge jeep ram of central Indiana, o’brien automotive family, Indianapolis Dodge trucks, Indianapolis Chrysler dealers, Indianapolis Toyota dealers, Indianapolis Dodge dealers, Indianapolis Ram truck dealers, Indianapolis FIAT dealers, Indianapolis Jeep dealers, by dianeanderson. Bookmark the permalink.
Read Full Post »